When you type lcpci you get this network device:
Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology corp. Device 1063 (rev c0)
Ubuntu doesn’t seem to recognise this onboard card by default. This network card is on the Gigabyte G31M-ES2L along with many other motherboards.
Steps to getting it working are really easy.
- First download this file: AR81Family-linux-v18.104.22.168.tar.gz from here: http://partner.atheros.com/Drivers.aspx
- You may need to put it on a USB drive and transfer it to your ubuntu box, or wack a second network card in your ubuntu box to grab it. Up to you.
- Put it in your home directory
- Open up a terminal and unpack the archive like this:
tar zxvf AR81Family-linux-v22.214.171.124.tar.gz
(ignore any errors)
- Change into the src directory:
- Make sure you have all the required tools:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential make
- Run the make command to build the network card driver:
sudo make install
- The driver file will be placed in the correct /lib/modules location
- Install the driver:
sudo modprobe atl1e
- Check if it works, you should see a new eth1 or something in the output from:
- Check if you can get an ip address:
sudo dhclient eth1
- Add that module to the /etc/modules file so it will load on boot
sudo echo atl1e >> /etc/modules
- Reboot and you should be set.
Let me know if this worked for you as well.