Please watch this instructional video showing how to install this WordPress theme and setup default content:
Below are the step by step instructions:
- Purchase the theme from ThemeForest.net
- After purchasing go to your Downloads page ( http://themeforest.net/downloads )
- Click on the Download button and choose the Installable WordPress file option and save this ZIP file to your desktop.
- Login to WordPress and go to Appearance > Themes > Install Themes
- Click the Upload tab
- Choose the downloaded ZIP file from your desktop and click upload
- Go back to Appearance > Themes and click Activate on the Freedom theme.
- Note: If you are prompted to install Widget Area Manager please follow the prompts. If for some reason this plugin does not install automatically please download it from here and install it like a normal plugin: click here. The Widget Area Manager is required for this theme to operate correctly. It will allow you to control the position of sidebars and what content to display in them.
- Continue below for setting up default content…
Here is a screenshot showing step by step instructions for installing the theme:
( this step is also covered in the video screencast linked above )
You can optionally install the default content so the theme looks exactl)y like the demo site ( Freedom Default Content XML file )
Please only do this on a fresh new empty WordPress website – installing default content on an active existing website could cause problems, and the end result probably wont look like the demo.
If you wish to install the default content please follow these steps exactly:
- Install and activate the theme as mentioned above.
- Make sure all required plugins are installed and activated
- Go to Appearance > Default Content and follow the instructions
Done, your new WordPress website should now look identical to the live demo.
If it doesn’t or you need assistance please send us an email and we can happily help get you up and running: http://dtbaker.net/envato/support-ticket/
This theme comes with a unique and easy to use Sidebar Manager. Easily control if sidebars appear on the left or right of your pages, or hide them all together. Simply navigate to the page you wish to change (e.g. the home page) and change the option from the top admin bar.
You can even choose which sidebar to display on individual pages. A great feature for getting that unique looking website. Below is a preview:
Below is a preview of different widget & page layouts available:
- Blank page with no sidebars
- Sidebar on the left
- Sidebar on the right
- Transparent Page
- Page with Title
- Page with No Title
- Footer 3 columns
- Footer single column
- Footer hidden
Works on iPhone, Tablet and Desktop
The design is created in a way that works on desktop, mobile and tablet screen sizes. This is an amazing feature as more and more users are going mobile. Below are some screenshots showing the design on different screen sizes. You can try it yourself by simply shrinking your browser window, or visiting this demo website from your mobile device.
To disable this responsive design please go to Appearance > Customize > Other Settings and change it there
This theme comes with a unique Diagonal Slider included.
To create this slider in WordPress simply go to a Page, click Edit and paste this shortcode onto the page:
or if you are using Visual Composer click the Add button and choose the Diagonal Slider option:
and fill out the options:
Setting up the Home Page
- Go to Pages > Create new
- Create your home page, call it “Home” so you can recognise it
- Click the “Templates” button in Visual Composer and choose Default Templates and then click Freedom Home Page option:
- Go to Pages > Create new again
- Create a blog page, call it “blog” so you can recognise it
- Click the publish/update button.
- Go to Settings > Reading
- Select the “a static page” option
- Select the “home” page you created as the front page.
- Select the “blog” page you created as the blog page.
Setting up the Contact Page
- Install the free Contact Form 7 plugin (the theme will prompt you to install this at the start)
- Click the “Contact” option at the bottom left of WordPress
- Copy the shortcode, it will look something like this: [[contact-form-7 id=”169″ title=”Contact form 1″]]
- Go to Page > Create new
- Create your contact page, call it “Contact Us” so you can recognise it
- Paste the above shortcode ( [[contact-form-7 id=”169″ title=”Contact form 1″]] ) onto this page.
- Create a Google Map on this page by copying and pasting the below shortcode onto the page. The “Our Studio” bit is what appears in the box in the middle of the map. The address is the actual address where the point on the map will go. The height sets the height in pixels of the map. The enlarge_button option shows an “enlarge map” button under the map, change this from 1 to 0 if you do not want the button to appear.
[[google_map address=”Gold Coast, Australia” height=400 enlarge_button=1]Our Studio:
1 Smith Street,
- Go to Appearance > Widgets
- Click the down arrow on the right of the “Contact” sidebar.
- Drag a “Text” widget from the middle over to the “Contact” sidebar.
- In the “Title” put “Contact Details”.
- In the text area paste this code:
Gold Coast, Australia</li>
<li><strong>P:</strong> 1300 555 555</li>
<li><strong>F:</strong> 1300 555 555</li>
<li><strong>M:</strong> 1300 555 555</li>
- Adjust the text as necessary.
- Drag the “Opening Hours” widget from the middle over to the “Contact” sidebar.
- Fill in the details as required.
- Drag the “Social Icons” widget from the middle over to the “Contact” sidebar.
- Fill in the details (full http:// links to your social pages) as required.
Setting up the main menu
- Go to Appearance > Menu
- Click the “Add Menu” plus sign at the top
- Name your menu Main Menu
- Tick the pages or categories on the left, and click “Add to Menu”
- Drag / drop to re-arrange items on the menu.
- You can have max of two levels drop down in this theme.
- Click “Save Menu”
- On the left under “Theme Locations” please choose your “Main Menu” under the “Primary Menu” drop down and click “Save”.
- (you can repeat this process for the Footer Menu if you like).
- If you are unable to add certain things to the menu (eg: categories, product categories) please click the Screen Options at the top and make sure these are ticked.
Setting up the gallery page
- Go to Pages > Add New
- Name your page (eg: Our Gallery)
- Click the Upload/Insert button, and upload your gallery images
- Type the [[ gallery ]] shortcode onto your page.
- Press save.
Header & Logo
This theme has a custom options page allowing you to upload your own PNG logo to appear at the top, or you can use a text logo (the default is a text logo with a drop shadow).
To configure the logo please go to Appearance > Customize > Logo and change the settings there:
This WordPress theme allows you to choose different Google Fonts for most areas of the website. To access this configuration tool please go to Appearance > Customize > Fonts
To change the background please to go Appearance > Customize > Background
Media Sync Plugin
Documentation available here: http://dtbaker.net/envato/documentation/media-sync-wordpress-plugin/
GPS Travel Map Plugin
Documentation available here: http://dtbaker.net/envato/documentation/travel-gps-map-wordpress-plugin/
Installing the online shop (WooCommerce)
- If you wish to sell products please install WooCommerce
- Go to Plugins > Add New and search for “WooCommerce”
- Click install
- After installation, click activate.
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings and configure your preferences
- Further details about installing and using WooCommerce are available here:
- Further help and support for using WooCommerce is available here:
Linking the WooCommerce shop to your Facebook Page
This theme comes with bonus Facebook WooCommerce Integration! This allows you to add a “Tab” to your Facebook Business Page like this:
Note: this only works if your website has an SSL certificate (ie: check that https://yourwebsite.com works first)
By adding a page tab you can get a custom shopping cart icon as shown in the below screenshot (this icon can be anything)
When users click on this icon they are taken to a special shop page showing all your products. Users can add products to their cart directly from Facebook and then checkout via your website
To install this plugin please look for the ‘plugins/woocommerce-facebook.zip‘ file located in the theme download zip file.
Contact us if you cannot locate this file.
Once you have this plugin file you can install it to WordPress by going to Plugins > Add New > Upload and follow the prompts.
After activating the plugin you will find a new menu under WooCommerce > Facebook – this has detailed instructions on setup.
Basically you want to go to https://developers.facebook.com/apps and create an app with settings similar to this:
If you have difficulties following the instructions located under WooCommerce > Facebook please contact us and we can assist.
Theme File Structure (advanced)
This theme is a WordPress theme. Most of these files are standard WordPress files, so if you know your way around WordPress you will have no problems making the changes you need here. I’ve included a list of what the main files do in this theme below:
|style.css||This css controls all the styles on the website.|
|style.blog.css||This css file controls the blog layout|
|style.comments.css||This css file controls the blog comments layout.|
|style.content.css||This css file controls the main inner content and widget layout.|
|style.custom.css||This css file is automatically generated each time the “Customize” wordpress area is modified. Do not manually edit this file.|
|style.editor.css||This css file is for the backend WordPress editor.|
|style.responsive.css||This css file contains the code to make the website responsive on mobile and tablet devices.|
|style.visual_composer.css||This css file is for local modifications to the Visual Composer plugin.|
|style.wpcf7.css||This css file is for the contact form generated by ContactForm7.|
|/images/||The images used in the constructed website layout, which are mostly just background image options|
jquery.prettyPhoto.min.js – displays the nice popup images on gallery pages
|/plugins/||Contains the default plugins that should be installed along with this theme in order to make it work correctly.|
|/shortcodes/||Contains the default shortcodes used in this theme (eg: banner, fancy posts, google map)|
|/widgets/||Contains the widgets used in this theme (eg: contact details, image slider, opening hours, social icons)|
|/woocommerce/||Contains the WooCommerce theme files|
|header.php||Used to display the header on your blog (logo area and menu).|
|footer.php||Used to display the footer on your blog.|
|class-tgm-plugin-activation.php||This class helps with the installation of the theme, it checks you have jigoshop and plugins installed correctly.|
|dtbaker.fonts.php||Allows you to select which Google fonts to use on your website.|
|dtbaker.shortcodes.php||Controls which shortcodes (from /shortcodes/ folder) are available to you in the theme.|
|dtbaker.theme_options*||These files control the options you see on the left hand side in WP admin under the Appearance menu.|
|dtbaker.widgets.php||This file loads the available widgets (from /widgets/ folder) that can be used on your site. The file also contains the default settings for the sidebar options.|
|functions.php||The main theme functions, a standard wordpress file.|
|functions.woocommerce.php||This contains some modifications to the WooCommerce system, if you choose to use WooCOmmerce this will help it look nicer.|
|content-single.php||This displays a single blog post|
|content.php||This displays the main blog posts page (with excerpts, read more buttons, and thumbnails)|
|content-page.php||This displays individual static pages|
|index.php||The main wordpress loop for the main blog page (makes use of the content.php file above)|
|archive.php, author.php, category.php, image.php, page.php, search.php, single.php, tag.php||Normal wordpress files|
|sidebar.php||A blank sidebar file. This theme uses the widget sidebar manager (above)|
We provide free & premium paid support via our dedicated support website. Please see here for more details: http://dtbaker.net/envato/
All photos were taken by myself and are royalty free. They can be used in your single end product website if desired.